At Professor Wellbody's Academy of Health & Wellness, we understand there's only one thing harder than making healthy behavior changes: Sticking to them! We all need a little help from our friends, and that's the purpose of the Wellbody Blog, a friendly online gathering spot--a community well--where you can dip into health news; wellness tips; recipes; latest research about nutrition, exercise, sleep and hygiene; plus, real stories from virtual neighbors who are also trying to change their lives for the better. Start from wherever you are; share ideas, information, inspiration. At Pacific Science Center, we believe each of us can do something everyday to improve our health and well-being.
Wellbody Recipe: Kid-approved Swiss Chard and Chickpea Fritters
Warm and satisfying, creamy yet light, these fritters are so yummy, it's hard to believe they're also so healthy.
Packed with fiber-rich chickpeas and succulent Swiss chard (a low-calorie source of antioxidant vitamins and minerals), the recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make. Kids love these melt-in-your-mouth patties. Whip up a double batch and pack leftovers for lunch the next day! They'd also make a substantial appetizer.
Swiss Chard and Chickpea Fritters
(from Real Simple with some Wellbody suggestions)
• 8 cups stemmed and torn Swiss chard (about 1 bunch) or spinach
• 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• kosher salt and black pepper
• 2 ounces Feta, crumbled (about 1/2 cup) or ½ cup Swiss and gruyere cheeses, grated
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
• hot sauce, for serving (Apple sauce is terrific for dipping, too!)
1. In a food processor, combine the Swiss chard, chickpeas, garlic, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Transfer to a large bowl, add the cheese and flour, and mix until combined. Form the mixture into eight 2½-inch patties.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the patties until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet for the second batch. Serve with the yogurt, applesauce and/or hot sauce.