Storybook Science For Pre-K - Grade 2
Workshops - These hour-long workshops start off by reading a storybook about the topic and then move into activities related to the book.
- Incredible Insects - Read a fun book about a girl who loves insects. Meet some real cockroaches and use microscopes and magnifiers to discover the difference between insects and other animals.
- Tooth Sleuth - Hear a hysterical tale about rotten teeth! Investigate your own teeth, compare them to the teeth of animals and check out some of the grossest rotten teeth from real mouths.
- Making Music - Read about a boy who loves to play the trumpet, and then experiment with sound waves and discover fascinating percussion instruments you can play.
- Creating Color - Listen to a story about warthogs discovering color. Explore primary and secondary colors, learn about the color wheel, and do some color experiments of your own!
- Boats Afloat- What makes a boat float? How do weight, size and shape affect buoyancy? Test the buoyancy of several objects and then put your creativity to work as you design and build your own ship out of clay. On to sea trials...will your boat float? Now can you rebuild your boat to make it carry cargo?
Science Show: SENSEational Science - Explore your fabulous five senses! Put your taste buds to the test, make "scents" of mysterious odors, open your eyes to illusions, and more! We will keep your brains busy as they integrate interesting information about how we perceive the world around us. This science show is specially designed for early elementary kids. Geared toward PreK-2.
Preschool field trips and outreach lessons are also available through Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center.